Cart 0

Crafting at Green Acres

craft DIY metalmuseum outdoors recreation resin thingstodo

Sometimes I housesit at what I call Green Acres, which is my parents' land. Usually when I'm there I spend my time on nature walks with Shelby the dog, refrigerator and pantry diving, watching hours of television, swimming (weather permitting), and doing small projects. I had been thinking a long time about casting a nest in resin after taking a short workshop about it at the National Ornamental Metal Museum , when I used feathers. I wrote about it here. On one of the aforementioned walks I spied a lovely, small, *abandoned*  nest. They are easy to spot in the winter since the leaves have fallen from the trees, and very often they are way too big or too high up to use. This one was a Goldilocks perfect size and location.

So I drove a pickup under the branch, hopped into the truck bed, and carefully took the nest. Then I went to Michael's to get Easy Cast since it is what we used at the museum, and got 3 boxes.

I did a test run first since I wasn't using a silicone mold (couldn't find one big enough) and wanted to see how easily it would break from the generic plastic takeout container I chose. Very important, follow the instructions! I am not always good at this, and instead of using the technique of mixing back and forth between containers I only stirred it and (as they tell you) I got a sticky result that never set properly. So, take it from me, no short cuts.

At the workshop the instructor told me that when casting larger things you should do it in layers instead of pouring all of it at once. The chemical reaction generates heat, and there is a higher likelihood of bubbles, so I started with about six ounces (which they also recommend in the instructions). I waited a full twenty four hours and did it again, and again, until it was completely covered. Forty eight hours after the last pour I decided to take it out. To remove, I had to totally bust the container, which was fine, but jagged plastic pieces were shooting everywhere, so be very careful.

Here's the finished product! I got a course grit and fine grit sandpaper to smooth out the top edge, and it is done!

I recommend trying this sometime, with a nest or whatever else. Trial and error is part of it, but I will happily answer questions if you have them.

I know I haven't posted much here besides upcoming shows lately, BUT I have a few reasons for that.

1- November and December were insanely busy months in a great way.

2- I have wanted to write about my road trip West that was alllllllllllll the way back in July and the more recent Florida trip I took last month.

However, I want those blogs to be really good and I keep putting it off because I haven't had time to devote to those topics. So, I am writing a short one about this recent project I did to help get back into the swing of blogging.

Older Post Newer Post